Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Arriving in the United Arab Emirates

Please forgive the delay in my communication to you all, this is the first time I've been on the computer since I got here. Recovering from a nasty cold and jet lag is a difficult thing but alas, I made it. Back to the cyber world and into your hearts.


Step 1 to moving acros the world - The Journey

Wednesday, 31st - Departed SLC - 1:40 pm
Arrived in Atlanta - 7:15 pm (Taxied on the tarmacs for an hour, effectively missing the connection flight to Dubai)

Entered airport - 8:20 pm (Delta issued me a new travel plan)
Departed Atlanta - 10:45 pm

Thursday, 1st - Arrived in London/Heathrow - 12:15 pm
Departed London/Heathrow - 2:30 pm (Experienced First Class fully-reclining seats with Emirates Airline on this leg)

Friday, 2nd - Arrived in Dubai - 1:04 am - (Without any luggage, lost somewhere between Atlanta and London)
Drove to Al Ain arriving to the hotel at 4:30 am

Total travel time = 28 hours
Hours of sleep during travel = 3

What an adventure!!!


Step 2 - Let the good times roll

Friday, 2nd

I slept from 5:00 am to 8:00 am, ate a quick breakfast, and was off to Church (Friday is the Sabbath over here). Although I had to attend Church in my 3 day old travel clothes, I loved meeting everyone in the branch. They are all so wonderful. After church we ate a bit of lunch before heading off on a day trip to Abu Dhabi for a baptism. Although I was tired, it was nice to be a part of that and already participating in the branch. When we got back to the hotel around 7 pm, I skipped dinner and went straight to bed, miraculously falling asleep before I hit the pillow (a Festivus miracle!!!).


Saturday, 3rd

I awoke with Richard at 8:00 am, and we enjoyed breakfast together. After Richard went into work, I went back to bed and slept 12 blissful hours until dinner at 8:00 pm. I thought I would switch things up after dinner and sleep. :)


Sunday, 4th - Tuesday, 6th

Already a vacation… don’t mind if I do. Richard and Mark had business meetings in Abu Dhabi for the next few days so we made a trip of it. Mark, Beverly, Richard, and I happily traveled to the Capital of the UAE knowing we would have fun, productive, and comfortable stay at the Intercontinental Hotel. The next few days consisted of meetings for Mark and Richard, and relaxing for Beverly and me. I slept in, ate at wonderful restaurants, and finished a book. (Thanks Barb for letting me borrow that.) Our last night there, we ate dinner at Brazilian Churrascaria called Chamas. It was a steak house similar to Rhodizio Grill in Salt Lake City, only this place required a dress code. It had a lovely atmosphere with fresh flowers, glowing candles, and a live band giving off just the right rhythm. We ate from the salad bar and then got stuffed on Triple Tip, Rib Eye, Sirloin, Lamb, Ribs, Turkey Tikka, Flank Steak, and grilled pineapple. Delicious. In perfect form with my new trend, I was asleep by 8:30 pm.

So there you have it, a glimpse into my first week in the United Arab Emirates, my new home. Before I stop rambling I will say, it's so nice to be here with Richard and I'm already having fun. Richard is loving his job and I'm so proud of him and what he’s accomplishing.

Love to you all.

9 comments:

Nanette said...

That already sounds so incredible! Keep the updates coming!!

The Cannons said...

Wowzers. That sounds really exhausting, but fun. I'm glad you made it safely.
Mitzi

Barb said...

I'm so glad that you updated your blog so that I can dream that I'm there with you! It has snowed twice here since you left!

Ashley said...

Catherine, my dear, I am so glad you got to Dubai in one piece. International jet lag will wear off in a few days. Remember, we love you, are monstrously proud of you and ravenously jealous of your adventures!

Erin Spenc said...

So did you ever get your luggage? I hope you are having fun over there. Does everyone speak English?
Will you please take some pictures because I have NO idea what Dubai looks like (other than the three pictures you already posted on your blog).

Becky said...

What an incredible adventure! I am so jealous!!! I hope you are well rested soon and have the best time ever.

klt9976 said...

How exciting! I'm excited to hear all about it!

Chelsea Nelson said...

Few things.
First, I NEED your email address!
Second, Still wondering how the waxing job paid off.
Third, I LOVE YOU!

Jane and Stuart said...

Wow! That is awsome. It was good to see you before you left. Good luck. I am excited for you.