Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Sabbath Day


The Sabbath Day over here is observed on Friday. This picture is of the building our branch meets in for church. Today we had branch conference with President and Sister Buffington, of the Manama Bahrain Stake, as our guests and speakers.

I want to share just a few notes and thoughts from what I learned and felt.

President Buffington talked about At-one-ment. As we seek At-one-ment we must work with three different entities. These are:

1. Ourselves - Understand and be comfortable with our relationship with the Savior, Jesus Christ. As this relationship gets stronger, the Atonement becomes more meaningful to us.

2. Saints - We must strive for unity, strength, and friendship with our branch/ward members. This At-one-ment with each other happens through our service, worship, and socializing with them.

3. God - How do we align ourselves with the will of the Savior? Focus on the Savior in our service and our worship. Take a moment before the beginning of Sacrament meeting to focus our minds on the Savior and let go of everything else.


I also received a calling - I am the Young Woman's President. There is only one girl, but I am very excited!



Also, Richard was called as the Branch Clerk and is delighted to be using spreadsheets in church. This is in addition to his callings as first counselor in the Young Men's Presidency and Scout Master of the newly formed troop.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Congratulation on your new calling. Whether it is one or thirty, I am sure that is a big job, and responsibility.

Jaron and Amy said...

Holy cow! Remind me to never complain about the time my ONE calling takes! Sounds like you two are helping the ward so much, I'm sure they are so excited to have you! I'm soooo jealous you're there watching all this soccer.

Royce and Annika said...

Being in YW is the best! You'll love it!!! I had forgotten how exciting everything is until I was called to YW. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it. Seriously the best calling I've ever had. Makes me miss living in a place that you actually feel needed.

Preethi said...

Hooray! We're so happy for you guys. Hearing you talk about this reminds me of our fabulous South Philly branch that we adore, and is a wonderful place to serve. Together, we were up to 5 callings in December... But oh how blessed the fruits!

The Calder's said...

You will be great!! They need you so MUCH! I hope your soaking in every moment!

Unknown said...

I love it! You guys are on one fabulous adventure!

The Cannons said...

YW's president go Cat. I think that only having one girl would probably be a bigger challenge than having 30 in a lot of ways, but you'll do great. I'm the Laurel advisor and I like it a lot. I don't love it yet because it's a new calling and I need more time to bond with the girlies.
Mitzi

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Cat! You'll be a wonderful President. You'll have a great time bonding with your Young Woman, and they need all the love and support you can give them. Having just one will be a real challenge. I have 26 and really, I think that is much easier when it comes time to teach a lesson!