Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Local Knowledge: Dress Code

Being new to the Middle East, knowing what to wear was a bit of a mystery. The general rule in the UAE is to cover up a little if you don't want to be stared at. Although accepted in other parts of the world, it's not advisable for men to remove their shirts in public places as this can cause offence. It's a good idea for the women to cover their shoulders and knees. Tops that are too low, or skirts that are a little bit high, may offend. I am grateful for my LDS upbringing that modest is hottest. It has made the transition easier not having to change this part of my lifestyle.

4 comments:

Julie Ethington said...

Cat!!! I'm so excited to hear that you are alive and well! We miss you both a ton here... and are jealous of the adventures that you're having! I would love to see pictures and hear more about living life in the middle east! We love you!

Jarom and Melissa said...

I'm so glad you're both doing well in the E.A.E. Jarom had no idea where that was until I told him (I remembered it from doing a study of the Middle East and drawing maps in tenth grade). We know you and Richard are going to do great things there and are so happy you're doing well. It's also great that the Lord's standards help you out there. We wish you all the best and are glad you're keeping us posted. Take care!
-- Melissa

Katie M. said...

Richard and Catherine!

Hey, I just caught myself up on your adventures- wow!!! This certainly is a much more adventurous endeavor than Philly, I bet! You finding any philly cheese steaks out there? HA. Bet not! Well, have a fantastic time, come back fluent in... errrrr. Dubaish, and take care!! Excited to see some pics of the place.

Katie

The Cannons said...

I love that you hotlinked "modest" to LDS.org's dress guidelines. I'm obsessed with hot links, almost as much as I'm obsessed with sausage links. Mmmmm...sausage.

Scott