Thursday, January 22, 2009

President of the United States of America

Barack Obama becoming the 44th President of the USA is headline news, even across the world.


(Local paper on January 20, 2009)

Everyone knows about it and wants to talk with me about it. While talking with one of my new friends, Khaldoun, he said,

"It doesn't matter who you are of what country you're from, a black man becoming the President of the most powerful country in the world is a big deal."

I couldn't agree more Khaldoun.

(Local paper on January 21, 2009)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Barb said...

That is SO COOL! I'm so glad you took pictures of the front pages! That is something that you can show your grandchildren!

The Cannons said...

As much as I disagree with our new president's ideas and policies I think it is fantastic that our country has its first African American president. We watched "The Great Debaters" a couple of weeks ago and it was unbelievable to see how as recently as during our grandparents' and some of our parents' lifetimes, black people were still being lynched in parts of this country. In the movie, the debate coach explains the origin of the word "lynch" and it is a rather terrible story. There is also a scene where the team, while traveling to their next debate tournament, stumbles across the scene of a fatal lynching and it is horrifying. Thank heavens that things have changed to the point that an African American can be elected president in a free election when only a generation earlier he could have been a target for vigilante or mob "justice." Anyway, I've rambled long enough but that movie really stuck with me, probably even more so because of this election. Momentous indeed.

Scott

Emily Johnson said...

Retro, old roomie Bubbles here, I am loving your stories about living in the Middle East what an awesome experience that must be. My parents went on a tour of Europe with a bunch of people from Australia and they knew more about American politics than my parents did because. So odd to think that people pay such close attention to the U.S. I would love to keep in touch with you (since I've been super excellent at that so far)!