Friday, January 16, 2009

Footballers (aka soccer players)

Football, known as soccer in the States, has a huge following over here. While talking to my insider source, Tiserra (the nice 70 year old philapina who cleans our room), I learned that there are 4 football teams staying at the Hilton right now. Today I saw one of the teams in their matching orange jerseys grouped together on the main floor. They told me they were from Ghana. Then after lunch, I was about to enter my room when I heard, "Hey!" I turned and smiled at the three footballers wearing red jersey's. Then the conversation went like this.

me: "Oh, hi."

player 1: "Speak English?"

me: "Yes."

player 1: "From...where from?"

me: "The USA. Where are you from."

player 2: "Egypt."

me: "Are you here playing soccer, football?"

player 2: "Egypt, Cairo."

me: "Do you play football?"

players 1,2,3: "Yes!"

player 1: "Picture?"

me: "Okay, sure."

Player 1 then takes a picture of player 2 with his arm around my shoulder. Then he takes another photo of player 3 with his arm on my shoulder. Player 1 then hands off the camera and stands next to me while putting his hand securely around my waste and angling his body snugly into mine. That was the longest 3 seconds of my life as I waited for the camera to click. Um...AWKWARD!!! This petite teen is getting fresh with me! Yikers.

me: "Okay, bye!"

player 1: "Name, what name?"

me: "Catherine."

player 1: "Cautrin."

me: Bye." (while walking back to my door)

All three players then smiled while pointing to their room door, which I just realize is next to mine. I smile back politely, walk into the room, and burst out laughing.

Teenage boys ae the same all over the world. But I have heard, and now learned, that the males in Egypt are especially forward with foreign women. So if you're ever in Cairo, look out!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Same in Germany. Eeevvveryone wants to talk to the American Chick.

Doesn't help your case that you're so ridiculously beautiful Cat. Your face, eyes and especially your hair, are going to make you VERY popular because you are the embodiment of American Beauty.

Nanette said...

Classic! I think you handled it perfectly!

Jarom and Melissa said...

Hilarious!!!

Your picture will become the desktop background on several computers, I think.

Jarom