Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me!!!

It's happened. The best day of the year has finally arrived: The Winter Solstice. For all of you plebeians out there, Winter Solstice comes from the latin words sol (Sun) and sistere (Stand Still), or Sun Stand Still in Winter. This is the day when the sun is the furthest distance from the earth, and therefore the shortest day / longest night of the year. Many cultures regard this as the day of the earth's rebirth, the birth of new light, the first day of winter, but I think they've missed the point entirely. Today is a celebration of Richard's birth, duh!



It couldn't be a more beautiful day for a birthday. About 10" of powder dumped on Salt Lake City last night, but today the sun is shining bright. Catherine and I had our morning workout this morning, we made crépes on my new birthday crépe pan, and one of my delinquent clients asked me to come pick up a check from them. . . . can this day get any better??? Hurray!!! We've packed the rest of the day with driveway shoveling, Café Rio, a gingerbread house party with six of our nieces and nephews (four of them you should know pretty well by now), and the annual Ethington Talent Show Christmas Party. What a day!

I'm telling all y'all about my birthday on the off-chance that you:
1) Actually read this blog
2) Care that I've achieved the ripe old age of 27
3) Desire to wish me a very happy birthday and a prosperous and healthy year to come. . .

Shameless? You bet! Effective? Inconclusive. I wish you all a very happy first day of winter, and I wish myself the best birthday ever!

6 comments:

Chelli said...

Happy Birthday!! I love the cake! Sounds like your day will be lots of fun!!!

Barb said...

Happy birthday, Richard! My brother, my friend, my husband's business partner... the list goes on! The crepes were fantastic! And extra birthday points for the use of the word plebeian!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Richard!!

Mike & Ashley

Becky said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!! 27 is great!!! Merry Christmas!

The Cannons said...

Happy Birthday and sorry to burst your bubble but the winter solstice was on December 22nd this year although it is usually on the 21st. Check out the calendar I promise.
Mitzi
p.s. I am kind of an annoying know-it-all I am aware of this

Abester said...

First, I read your article about Google Reader. I'm gonna give it a shot. Cool stuff.

And second, I felt compelled to comment about this article because what I have to say may drastically affect the way you celebrate your birthday henceforth and forever. (Probably not. But still...) You write that the winter solstice--your birthday!--is the day the sun is farthest from the earth. Not so! (I think that day actually happens sometime in mid-autumn and again in mid-spring.) It's actually the tilt of the earth not our distance from the sun which primarily accounts for the duration of exposure to the sun we get each day--the balance of light vs. dark. I quote from Wikipedia: "Winter solstice occurs at the instant when the Sun's position in the sky is at its greatest angular distance on the other side of the equatorial plane from the observer."

Mostly though this was an excuse to comment on your blog.