Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day Three - Are All Kids Clupto's???

The Cook's have an unbelievably structured morning. Ryan (the oldest) wakes up at 6:00 to practice the piano, get ready for school, and do his morning jobs. I wake up Tyler and Adam (10 and 8, respectively) at 7:00 for scriptures and we have breakfast at 7:20, Ryan's out the door at 7:40, and Tyler and Adam feed the chickens and ducks, practice the piano, and do their morning chores before going to school at 8:40. That leaves Brianna and I to clean the kitchen, change her clothes, do her hair (see day two), clean her room, and play games for the rest of the friggin' day, except for a brief respite for preschool. This is riveting stuff, you guys.

Today after Brianna's preschool, she and I went to the store to buy some forbidden Cap'n Crunch Berries and Peanut Butter Crunch, a ginormous box of corn dogs, and all the fixins necessary for some delicious subs. On our way out to the car, I realized Brianna had a foreign object in her mouth. After some coaxing and warning that she might choke and die if she didn't give it up, she spit out a package of chapstick. Of all the lousy luck, man! At least if you're going to swipe something, let it be chocolate! But seriously folks, my little sister Laura and I got busted for this when we were little. We used to go to Macey's grocery store and eat all of the bulk chocolate off of the floor. When mom found out about our shenanigans, it was curtains! After Brianna and I corrected the situation, we talked the whole way home about why we shouldn't do that. I don't know if I'm a bad person, but I thought the whole thing was pretty funny. I mostly felt bad she had to learn her lesson sucking on a chap stick. :)

Dinner was a success - Ethington Famous Baked Beans and Hot Dogs. Every night, all of the kids do their kitchen chores (surfaces, dishwasher, vacuum) and they get two chocolates from the Chocolate Treasure Chest when everyone is done. This is brilliant! The Family Home Evening lesson time was a disaster. No wonder my dad always yelled at us. :) We talked about the Savior and the atonement; I asked the kids where the most important element of the atonement occurred, and Tyler exclaimed, "The Garden of Yosemite!" Good times.

Catherine came down to visit us and we all played Princess in the Park (Murder in the Dark but not as violent. . . ) The kids started screaming and jumping with excitement when she came in - is this the way moms feel when dad gets home? What am I, chop liver? It was so nice to have Catherine there to help put Brianna to bed and to play with the boys. We had tons of fun together.

Injury Count - Innumerable
Fatality count - Zero

No comments: