You know those glorious times when the stars are aligned and you just get it? I've been wrestling against the natural laws of nature all week, but today a moment of Nirvana settled in; I understand the pony tail.
I could write quite a bit about the struggle between man and pony tails. Show me hard finance problems, bond and stock market questions, or anything related to technology and I do just fine; put me behind an anxious little girl in need of a pony tail and some little butterfly clips and I crumble.
Not anymore. Not me. Men - this blog's for you. It turns out you can't thread hair through the hole from an elastic like you would a rope. Just doesn't work. Disaster ensues. Never occurred to me. Also, don't try to do everything with your right hand. Give your left hand a chance every once in a while, man! Make sure you pull the hair through the hole from the base of the hair and alternate between your right and left hands. Nevermind that when hair is wet the tail sticks out like a spike - that makes for some sweet pictures. Did I miss this complicated tutorial in home economics? The funniest part of this whole experience has been Brianna's reaction to my ignorance. She says things like, "don't worry, this is a good learning experience for you" or "maybe you'll learn how to do it someday." I feel better about myself now. Maybe I'll practice at home with my toupee (See Day Five).
One thing I haven't mentioned but that is most certainly blog worthy - the title and position of "Mom" is not inherent but associated.
Exhibit A: Brianna calls me mom.
Adam: "Brianna, do you want to go downstairs and play?"
Brianna: "No! I want to play memory with mom!"
Richard: "Yeah, that will be fun, Brianna! She's coming home next Monday and you can play together."
Brianna: "You! I want to play with you, mom!"
New Mom: "Huh?"
That happened at the beginning of the adventure. Ever since, whether we're talking in the car, when she's in the shopping cart, or when she's going to bed, I am her mom. I haven't corrected her because I think it's kind of cute (and flattering in a really. strange. way.). It's awesome being validated by a four year old. Luckily, Ashlee's title as World's Greatest Mom hasn't been replaced - Brianna just has two amazing moms for a little while. :)
1 comment:
Being called "Mom" is one of the best things in the world, it's true.
Post a Comment