You know, boys I can dress all day. Sunday attire is pretty straightforward - shirt, pants, maybe a couple of dark mis-matched socks, clip-on tie. . . :) I learned today that I have no idea what to do with a girl. Period. Luckily, Brianna just turned four, so I turned most of the control over to her. She picked out the dress, I picked out the frilly socks. I tried to put newborn Sunday shoes on her feet and she disciplined me something fierce. I decided to err on the modest side when it came to a sleeveless dress and found her a matching(?) shirt for underneath. What do I know?
Nothing could prepare me for the moment when we went to the bathroom together to do her hair. She looked up at me with this face like "please don't hurt me," and I looked down at her with a face like "ya kiddin' me?" It has never remotely crossed my mind how to do a girl's hair, let alone make it look pretty.
True inspiration settled in, as I picked out the snarls, added three colors of rainbow elastics for a pony tail, a bow, and a couple of colorful clips for good measure. Yup, it was a classic case of cute girl, incompetent parent, no friends. It looked terrible. I didn't get any pictures, but I hope you can imagine the atrocity.
I don't really have a grasp on how much kids eat, but I remember seeing parents give kids fruit snacks, cheerios, fruit leather, etc., so I loaded up a distraction bag for sacrament meeting with all the works. Brianna ate for the entire duration of the meeting - no crying, no fuss, nothing. Victory! Not so fast, Napoleon. She threw it all up in the third hour - face, hands, dress. Dangit!
The rest of the day was pretty smooth - Ashlee and Travis's ward has choir practice at their house every Sunday, and while the choir graced the house with music, I graced the house with Culinary mastery. We had some wicked awesome chicken and rice, corn, and garlic hummus. The Cook's live at the base of American Fork Canyon, so we suited up in all of our snow gear and drove up to Tibble fork reservoir and walked around in the snow (no playing, mind you, just walking and enjoying 16 degree air, clear night skies, and some deep powder). We topped the night off with hot chocolate and brownies and called it a day. Nothing like overloading the kids with adventure and sugar to cement your position as favorite uncle. :) Piece of cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment