Today I learned that kids lose stuff. Couple that with complete ignorance about micro-economics and you're headed for problems. Previously, I had supposed that they just liked to spread their stuff around to mark their territory (like Hyenas). Nope. All wrong.
Exhibit A: Brianna has these really cute frilly socks I opened for the first time today (I'm stalling on laundry - tee hee!). They're especially cute because they look tiny, but when you put them on a little body they go all the way to the knees. From my newfound mastery of the pony tail (see day six), I was feeling really good about how I had prepared Brianna for Playgroup and Preschool. Cute socks, cute pants, cute hair, cute necklace, cute shirt (which I put on backwards but Brianna scolded me and turned it around [who puts buttons behind your neck, anyway?]). It's pretty intimidating presenting your daughter to a mom who shows up in a Suburban full of cute little kids with perfect outfits and hair. So I have no fashion sense, but give the girl some dignity, you know?
Little tangent there. When Brianna got home today and took off her pink boots, her feet were bare. "Brianna, do you know where your socks are?" "[pause], uhhhh, [pause], I think they're at McDonalds." Are you serious? No problem, I'll just open your sock drawer and replacement frilly socks will magically appear (I'm amazed how emotionally attached I was to those cute little sockies).
Exhibit B: Brianna had a birthday party this afternoon and I had seen the invite several days ago but it wasn't on the fridge. "Brianna, have you seen your birthday party invitation?"
"I was playing with it."
"Oh, can I see it please? I need to know when it starts."
A listless face looks back at me as if to say, "I said I was playing with it, not that I knew where it was." Nevermind.
Exhibit C: Brianna lost my favorite bow at her party and I'm crushed about it. White, lots of ribbon - just an awesome bow, you know? It's harder when the loss may represent my own incompetence about strategic bow positioning.
Exhibit D: While I was putting her Jammies on, I realized her necklace was gone. Nooooooo!!!!!! This is the necklace she assured me her mom lets her wear all the time and she promised to keep it on. She explained how she took it off and put it down, but then it disappeared somehow. Ya think?
The important element of note is that Brianna doesn't really show any sign of loss, sorrow, concern, anxiety, or responsibility.
Brianna's Internal Dialogue: I had it, I took it off, now it's gone, get over it, man!
Richard's Internal Dialogue: Stay calm. Just because you trusted that Brianna could reason or take care of something like an adult doesn't make you ignorant, stupid, or a failure. Oh wait, that's exactly what it means. :)
Moral of this Post:
Gains - Chap Stick
Losses - Frilly socks, my favorite bow, necklace
Weekly Result - Net Loss
Better luck next week, eh?
Brianna had a sensory overload day anyway, so I'm chalking it up to that. We played games together this morning, she had a manicure for playgroup (???????????) and went to McDonalds and preschool. She and I played again for two hours before her birthday party, and she got home just in time for Pizza Party night with the boys, Shrek 3, and story time before bed. Her absence gave me a good chance to spend more time with Ryan, Tyler, and Adam.
These are great little boys - obedient, responsible, and independent. They do not protest for morning scriptures, morning chores, kitchen chores, limitations to TV and XBox, or mandated bedtime at 9:00. People keep saying, "I can't believe you're taking care of four kids by yourself." Truth be told, if I only had two kids around Brianna's age and younger, I probably would've been dead by now, but having the boys around brings an excellent balance to the family. That and it's fun to lay the smack down and wrestle with them every couple of hours. :)
2 comments:
I have been sitting here laughing so hard that I'm crying! I feel for you and know exactly how it is being in charge of kids for several days! You're doing great!
Richard, I am so proud of you! I actually thought a woman was writing this post for a little bit. I'm glad you're having fun being a mom :o)
Post a Comment