Switzerland, July 2009
It's a new year, and everyone has high hopes and resolutions on the brain.
I also have a few things I'd like to work on, aspects of my life that could really use some improvement.
And to better one's self is a worthwhile pursuit.
But among all of these intense feelings of falling short and longing for something not yet attained, my thoughts are turned to a different perspective.
To an idea that the good life exists only when we stop wanting a better one.
It is the condition of savoring what is rather than longing for what could be.
I find myself itching for things, and to some extent that's good. I want to commit to waking up at 6am to exercise to better my health. Good. I also want to be super slim and look amazing in everything I put on right now! Hum, well...
This second one might be the lust for more and it's this that's draining my soul of happy contentment.
Have you noticed?
A man never earns enough.I don't identify with this entire list, but I will admit that one or two may have rang true.
A woman is never beautiful enough.
Clothes are never fashionable enough.
Cars are never nice enough.
Gadgets are never modern enough.
Houses are never furnished enough.
Food is never fancy enough.
Blogs are never perfect enough
Relationships are never romantic enough.
Life is never full enough.
How about you?
Satisfaction comes when we step away from desire and say... This is enough.
What I have will do.
What I make of it is up to me.
3 comments:
What a beautifully written post, sis. It's so true- the desire for more or better or one day robs us of the joy of the present. I love you so much and I know you will have a great 2011!
Absolutely love it...Thanks I needed that!
I love that. I know some people who spend their whole life waiting for the next stage to start. "I'll be happy when I'm out of high school, when I'm married, when I have kids, when my kids grow up." Seriously people need to learn to be happy today.
Someone gave a lesson for a Relief Society meeting and it was on "Your Happily Ever After Begins today." I love that!
Thanks for your thoughts. So true!
I really really need my sister in law to read your blog post for real!
Post a Comment