{Elizabeth lovin' the ride}
I jazzed out the door, down the elevator, passed the guard named Abbas, walked a few blocks, and hopped (or rather heaved a huge stroller) onto the bus... and we were on our way. I was on a mission to visit my friend Kera, do some window shopping, and just get out of the house via public transit.
I gave the nice bus man a Dirham coin, which is about 27 U.S. cents, to cover our fare. Not too bad, right?
Then E and I settled into the middle section of the bus, in between the "Ladies Only" seating in the front and men's area in the back. Ya, they're separate. The Lady seats are usually half full while there are always a ton of men, and when the men's seating is full, then they stand in the middle rather than sit with the Ladies.
Today I stood with them, tending to my stroller and baby inside.
As we got closer to the center of downtown the bus got more crowded, which meant more men crammed into our shared standing area, all of us maneuvering for a sure grip on a railing nearby.
Then this guy got on.
He happened to be the only other white person on the entire bus besides baby and I.
He rudely shoved his way through the people, poking shoulders and smacking his bag into knees. When he reached the first men's seat (which was occupied by a nice-enough-looking Indian man) he told him to move and he took the seat!
Maybe this guy was going to pass out if he didn't sit down right then, but I think it had more to do with the color of his skin compared to the skin color of the man sitting.
ewww.
A few people gave him a look or two, but I really hope he saw the grimace that I conjured up for him, because it was a doozie.
Don't you just hate it when you see examples like this of humans treating other humans badly?
Let's just be kind to each other, okay? :)
Anyway, we did have fun exploring the city - it was a great day out.


2 comments:
Way to have an outing! I'm proud of you! And that guy is a total jerk- karma will get him, I'm sure of it.
"ewwww" is dead on. that is so gross. awesome for the GRIMACE you gave him!
By the way, I wish I could rock a scarf like that one. *sigh* You pull off the most fabulous things so effortlessly. I wish I could be jealous but you make it look so good!!!
Post a Comment