Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sweetie Face


Elizabeth had several vaccinations today. Richard came too, ya know, for moral support in case I broke down. (I've heard this happens to Moms :) I thought I was going to lose it having to watch, but I held it together.

It wasn't until this evening that my emotions peaked.

As is common after receiving vaccinations, she got a fever. But it was a high fever and for a little while she was too upset to nurse.


That's the kicker.


When your hungry, sick, screaming baby can't be comforted by you. When you try to offer and get rejected from the little life you're trying to keep healthy and happy.

{sigh}

First time my baby has been really sick.

Eventually the infant Tylenol started to help the fever come down and then she was able to nurse.

We nursed, and cuddled, and I sang to her.
She looked at me and smiled back,
and we wrote our own little duet of melodious coos.
Then I cuddled and sang and nursed some more as she drifted to sleep.

Sweet dreams.

5 comments:

Barb said...

What a sweet face, indeed. I love her big eyes! Aren't vaccinations just the worst? Knowing they are life saving helps (a little). I'm glad she felt better later in the day.

Avree said...

Ahhh she just has the most perfect little face! Sorry about the shots, they are the worst!

Unknown said...

Oh so sweet. What a tender moment. Love you!

Mitzi Beal said...

My kids have never gotten fevers after their vaccinations. It is the worst when they get so worked up they can't be comforted, especially if you are nursing and it's time for those puppies to be emptied. Am I right? I'm glad things calmed down for you.

Melissa said...

She's adorable. I love her little smile. I'm sorry she was so sick but glad she's feeling a little better and you were able to nurse her and comfort her. Bryson got really sick with a high fever after his two month shots too. I hope she continues to feel better. You're a great mom.