Sunday, September 12, 2010

Iftar

Men sitting in front of my favorite Al Ain Mosque, waiting to pray just before sunset.


During the Islamic month of Ramadan, Iftar is the evening meal when Muslims break their fast, just after sunset. This is one of their religious observances and is often done with family and friends gathering to break their fast together.


We were lucky enough to be invited over for an Iftar or two this year. First was with a Jordanian family. They were so kind to host us in their home, and true to the local hospitality, prepared a huge feast with way too much food. The lamb biryani was so good. We discussed how our religions were similar and different, the quality of education available in the UAE, and American football a little.

At one point, Nibal and I went back to her bedroom so that we could each breastfeed our babies. At first I was a bit shy to just start nursing in from of her, but then I realized that in most cultures it is completely normal to do this around women you don't know. Here I was in her home, on her bed, both of us feeding our babies. I felt a bond. A connection with this woman that I could only slightly communicate with, that I had little else in common with. It was amazing.

Mohammad, Eyad, and Richard

Catherine, Maryam holding Elizabeth, and Nibal

We also planned an Iftar with the Coordinating Council employees. We had juice, nuts, fruit, dates, beef, and Nasim brought samosas, picaora, and kharis (prounounced har-eese).


Nasim Bad Shah and Elizabeth

McSean Thompson and Elizabeth

Grandpa and Elizabeth


2 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

What a great thing to be invited to. It looks like you have great family and friends there.

Barb said...

Oh my goodness. I am dying. She is so cute. Mom says she looks like an Arabian princess from Northern Europe. She is looking more and more like Richard every day! (Seriously, like Richard with a headband on). I'm glad you had such a fun time with your two Iftar feasts- what a great way to soak up the culture!