Friday, July 16, 2010

Lullaby

My mom sang this song to me as a lullaby growing up and now I sing it to Elizabeth. I love the sweet memories with this song and my childhood.

Green grass 'round my window

Young leaves that the wind blows

Yes, it's springtime, golden sunshine

And we're glad, my little love and I

Now that summertime is nigh

Carefree kissin' couples

Dream away all their troubles

'cause it's springtime, golden sunshine

While the bluebirds sing their magic song

We will love the summer long

All the winter we've been waitin'

Girl and I anticipatin'

What we're gonna do with summer overdue

Now it's here, we're out together

So the weatherman had better

Do his best to make a show

And bring the sunshine out to grow the

Green grass 'round my window

Young leaves that the wind blows

Yes, it's springtime, golden sunshine

While the bluebirds sing their magic song

We will love the summer long


Green Grass. Gary Lewis and the Playboys. Written by Roger F. Cook and Roger John Reginald Greenaway


***


I also sing Baby Mine to her, you may remember it from the Disney movie Dumbo. This song is special to me because not only do I love it, but at my mom's request, my sister and I sang it at my Grandma Bonnie's funeral.


Baby mine, don't you cry

Baby mine, dry your eyes

Rest your head close to my heart

Never to part, baby of mine


Little one when you play

Don't you mind what you say

Let those eyes sparkle and shine

Never a tear, baby of mine


If they knew sweet little you

They'd end up loving you too

All those same people who scold you

What they'd give just for

The right to hold you


From your head to your toes

You're not much, goodness knows

But you're so precious to me

Cute as can be, baby of mine




5 comments:

Barb said...

Okay, now I'm crying. These are sweet memories and traditions to pass on.

elyse said...

Catherine, I love that lullaby from Dumbo! That part always makes me cry. It's so tender and I've really wanted to learn the words so I can sing it to my baby someday--I've think you've finally motivated me to actually do so. Thanks.

Ashley said...

the very first time i was alone with julia i sang the first song that popped into my head; In My Life

it's still "her song."

"Baby Mine" makes me sob. Heck Dumbo makes me sob.

BlogMOMster said...

Hi Richard and Cat -
I wanted to see little Elizabeth and catch up. Watching "Baby of Mine" from Dumbo always brings me to tears. I sounds like Elizabeth works up a few of those with colic. Nicole had colic, too! The first three months were colic-ridden, then suddenly she was over it. Having it over with was great; so hang in there! It is so worth it and she'll never remember a thing about it. And yes, even with colic they are incredibly lovable.
Janet

Brian and Emily said...

This is the song we've sung to Norah since she was in my tummy. I love it! I'll think of you now as I sing it.