The nurses and midwives were pouring lubricating jelly all over baby’s crown as she emerged further and further. Finally, at 1:45 PM, her entire head abruptly popped out. The nurses immediately changed their coaching. “Stop, stop, stop! Breathe slowly!” Minnie, the head midwife, started to suction out mouth and nose. And then, the final push. One last major contraction, a huge push, and baby’s body emerged in entirety from Catherine’s body. The umbilical cord was loosely wrapped around her neck twice, but Minnie skillfully untangled the cord. She later described this as a “double miracle”, because even one wraparound too tight can be fatal. Another tender mercy from heaven! Baby’s birthday – June 17th, 2010, 1:45 PM.
The word “miraculous” does not do justice to the experience of welcoming a new life into the world. I stood at the foot of the bed humbled, dumbfounded, amazed, and grateful as the little figure transformed from a pale and lifeless tabernacle of clay to a vibrant, active, and charismatic daughter. She was the perfect gift offered from a merciful Heavenly Father, and I had never felt the veil so thin as at that moment. All of a sudden, I understood exactly what others have attempted to convey to me when describing the birth of a child. I also realized that it would be impossible to ever put to words that sweet and spiritual experience.
Somewhat bewildered but exhilarated nonetheless, we placed her on Catherine’s chest to bond and keep warm. We waited just a few moments to enjoy her before I clamped and cut the umbilical cord. Again, I was humbled to reflect on how Catherine’s body had created such perfection and sustained baby’s life through this thick, membranous cord. Wow! What an incredible miracle! The nurses placed her under the heating lamp to finish the wipe down, and then placed her onto the scale for her official stats: 49 cm (19.25 inches), and 3,435 grams (7 lbs. 9 oz.).
What followed was a flurry of activity – vaccinations, vitals testing, a bath, and a swaddle. Let the record show that baby was tenacious from minute one. One of the nurses and I gave her a bath, and she was so upset that she grabbed a nearby pile of hand towels and was tossing them, to and fro, one by one. So much personality already!
And then, a still, spiritual silence with our new little girl began. Catherine held her close, I sat next to Catherine, the nurses disappeared, and we were finally alone, together in the calm darkness of the delivery room. These were sweet moments to bond as the new and improved Ethington family.
First up on the family business docket: what to call baby? Now, that I haven’t named her in this story as of yet is deliberate. Truth be told, Catherine and I had a narrow list of names, but we determined that we would have to see her face to know the right one. Even after all of our conversations and discussions over the past several months, a name proposed but ten hours before made it to the #2 slot. We’ll keep that name in our pocket for now, just in case (wink wink). However, it didn’t take more than three or four minutes to decide her rightful name once and for all. Her name was definitely Elizabeth.
Elizabeth Ethington, long a name accompanied by debate about two capital E’s in a name, two “eth” sequences together, no supporting middle name, and a name not present in any recent heritage. But the name is also beloved, classic, professional, dignified, and royal, not to mention versatile for nicknames: Elle, Ella, Eliza, Liz, Lizzy, Liza, Lizard, Beth, Betty, and Betsy. Two weeks later, as I finish this story, we’ve added a few more endearing nicknames to the lot: Snack Pak, Short Stack, Juice Box, Stink Pot, Hop Scotch, Poopie Pants, Muffin Mix, Stinker Bum, Snookie, and Sweetie Pants. Grandpa Mark calls her “Little Squirt” – a name befitting to say the least.
So there you have it. I will admit that I have spared many details (most of them bloody), but hopefully I’ve done justice to such an unforgettable experience. Catherine has never experienced such intense pain or joy. She valiantly endured 13 hours of natural labor and left the delivery room with rips, tears, and bruises. I had some minor indigestion and a lousy nap, but for the most part it was just joy for me. We were uncertain about delivering this baby into the world in the United Arab Emirates, but our experience could not have been better (though we could have done without the 120 degree summer weather – who’s idea was that?!?).
I feel humbled and eternally grateful to Catherine for her meticulous and calculated preparation for Elizabeth’s safe arrival. From the day we learned she was pregnant to the final minutes before delivery, Elizabeth’s safety and well-being has always been first priority. Her efforts and sacrifice, coupled with the endless blessings and tender mercies of our loving Heavenly Father, have changed our lives forever. Any attempt I have ever made to describe joy prior to June 17th, 2010 has been blatantly and ignorantly incomplete.
True joy is in our posterity.
Welcome to our family, Elizabeth.
Mom and Dad

14 comments:
What a beautiful story. Matt and I are so happy for your new little family!
Love the entire story. I love the story of all births. Catherine, great job.
sweet mercy she's perfect. love her. hope to meet her sometime.
I love the very first picture when she's so fresh from the womb. She looks very Spencer-ish in that one and so beautiful and sweet.
Beautiful!
Finally catching up on this wonderful story! Great writing as usual, Richard! Slightly strange and perhaps creepy but I freely admit to having a real fascination with hearing birth stories. Could talk birth all day in fact. The entire process is just a wonder!
Again, many congrats! You guys deserve only the best-- and looks like you got it! Perfect baby.
Speechless! I loved the entire thing!
What a wonderful story! I loved reading every word, it was like I was there! (You're a great writer!) Congratulations to everyone, she's beautiful!
I have LOVED reading this from the daddy/husband perspective. And, like any mother, teared up at all the right moments of all of these last posts. Well done, Richard.
And well done Catherine.
You both are such sweet parents, and baby Elizabeth is just beautiful.
That was so sweet! True joy really doesn't happen until your posterity comes. And it will just multiply each time you add one. Loved it! Hope you guys are doing well! Keep up the blogging - I love it. And thanks for letting a long lost friend share in your joy. Take care!
Korinne & Brian
And I thought the Dumbo post was tender. This one brought real tears - I know what this experience is like. One know little about love until love for a child enters your life. Janet
What great writing, Richard! A perfect combination of humor, suspense and joy. It brings a smile and tears to my eyes to remember these same kinds of moments of so many years past. You never forget the incredible miracle of giving birth to a child! And you never forget the gratitude of their safe arrival, and the joy of bundling up that precious child and taking him or her home with you. All my love and prayers to you, Catherine, and Elizabeth. I'll look forward to a day when I can see her!
i'm a bad friend. so great and happy to read this story. good job catherine. good job richie. i can't wait to give the three of you a big fat hug.
Post a Comment