Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Today I was thinking


about the everyday life I lead over here in the Middle East. I live in small town, Al Ain.

I look and see the simple things. Like this iron work pictured above, I love the beauty and design of it.

I hear the local sounds that tell me about outside without having to look out the window. Like the several calls to prayer over load speaker that mark the sunrise or dusk, easily heard through the stillness of my house.

I also hear the cling, cling, cling, of the natural gas truck as he announces he's driving by to potential buyers. I know what that sound brings with it. If I look out the window there will be a blue truck with wrought-iron sides, one man driving and another sitting in the open bed, clanging a piece of metal against the tanks.

I've gotten used to these things and don't even notice them much anymore. But, I don't want to forget them. They remind me of this place and time of life.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I love this little vignette- a piece of your life there! Thanks for sharing!!

Julianne said...

Oh Cat, that is so fun. These are the times to remember and I am so glad you taking notice of the small and simple things...they do make up the big picture!
Miss you -