Saturday, April 4, 2009

Washington DC


My dear Rachel is one of my best friends and we have been friends for 23 years! She and her husband James go to school and work at George Washington University in D.C. and they were kind enough to let me stop over and visit while I was on the east coast. This is the same amazing woman who is the founder of the Annual Fabulous Hat Luncheon. It was such a breath of fresh air to be with Rach for the day and have a little sleep over like the good old days.  Thanks again Watsons!!!

I rode the Chinatown bus from Philly to DC for $30 round trip! Although I felt my life nearly end with each screeching turn it was mostly awesome. 

A close up of my new purse and trench coat, so cute I had to include.

Rachel and James took me out to lunch, they are too generous! We ate this yummy Asian 
cuisine with beef, veggies, rice and an egg on top. It's a  Korean dish called bi-bim-bop. It really was SO good. (Thanks to Erin for reminding me what it's called!)

Just a little sidewalk snapshot of the Washington Monument as 
I walked through the city. 

James recommend the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden which is part of the Smithsonian Institute. This museum has four levels displaying contemporary art sculpture. I was lucky enough to be there while an exhibition of Louise Bourgeois occupied the entire
third floor. It featured a major survey of the works of the french-born artist who emigrated to the United States in 1938. I found the works to be personal and emotional.

Louise Bourgeois
(photo source: www.sanfranciscosentinel.com)

Cumul1
(source: artreview.wordpress.com)

Arch of Hysteria 1993
(source: tate.com)

It was so fabulous and I pass along the recommendation!

2 comments:

Erin Spenc said...

Jordan told me to tell you that what you ate was a Korean dish called bi-bim-bop. I order it EVERY time I get Korean food and it is my absolute favorite. Anyhow- We had to plug that for ya.

Unknown said...

Seeing you was an absolute breath of fresh air. I totally needed it! I heart you!!!