Thursday, January 17, 2008

Musings on Apple

That's about all I have to say about that.

But seriously folks, Apple introduced some pretty cool products for 2008 at their Macworld Keynote, but I must admit I was a little underwhelmed with the presentation as a whole. Not to worry, however, as our nerd holiday was an awesome success. Next year is going to be even better, so stay tuned.

As many of you know, Steve Jobs uses the keynote to introduce their awesome new products, but I wasn't feeling the love this time around, though I will recognize that the new Macbook Air is a pretty amazing little thing:

The world's thinnest laptop, with the skinniest point only .16" and the fattest point .76" and weighing in at a sturdy 3lbs. With a full size 13.3" widescreen LCD and full size keyboard, it's basically a Macbook with a stunningly non-existent footprint.

But what the dealio? The notebook is sealed like an iPod or iPhone, which means you can't switch out the battery, upgrade the RAM, or bulk up the puny 80GB hard drive. Is life really worth living without those options? I say unto you, nay.

Of note, however, is the fact that in its first quarter of sales, the iPhone took 20% of the smartphone market overall, leaving me giddy to listen to the earnings call this Tuesday, January 22nd at 3:00 Mountain. If you're interested in listening in, click here. I know, I know, most of you are rolling your eyes, but whatever.

If any of you like to follow the stock market or are interested in getting more involved, I think it would be fun to start a discussion-based blog or club or something. More eyes rolling. . . We'll see who's laughing when we make a $100 and lose $200! Oh wait. . .

No comments: