On Tuesday, an incredible woman in my home neighborhood passed away from complications of Multiple Sclerosis. Susan Marriott Ickes was the mother of a childhood friend of mine, Dennis Ickes. She was an icon of patience, humility, and faith. I admire the grace with which she handled MS for the entire span of my lifetime.

I received an e-mail yesterday from a dear friend of mine from college informing me that his mother had passed away on Tuesday. R. Kristine "Kris" Wood died suddenly at the young age of 55. Richard and Diana, I am so sorry for your loss and Catherine and I are remembering you and your family in our prayers.

Last night I received a phone call from my mom letting me know that my great aunt had passed away. I've got to tell ya, Lavelle was so great! I don't know if she had a sick day her entire life. I knew her well when we worked together about 10 years ago, and even at 78 years old then, I couldn't believe how much energy she had and how involved she was with life! Ten years later, she was still spry, fit, and running every day. She suffered a stroke in mid-December and had failing health until last night. We will miss her, but in the same breath, we are so grateful she lived such a full and healthy life for nearly 89 years before passing away. What a blessing! Lavelle is pictured on the right with my grandmother Dorothy.
As many of you know, my father passed away about three years ago from a disease that claims one person in 186,000. Not the best odds, eh? My dad was such a talented and incredible man, and it didn't seem fair to me that he would die at 58, but time has matured my viewpoint on death and the loss of dear friends. Losing a parent definitely resonates the plan of salvation at a much more personal level, and the knowledge of a greater plan beyond our own ability to understand always carries us through.
2 comments:
Life is fragile and fleeting. But, our relationships and love for one another are eternal. I'm sorry for the loss of your loved ones.
So sorry to hear about your losses. They all sounded like amazing people. Our thoughts and prayer are with you and Cat
Post a Comment