Wednesday, November 21, 2007

School of. . . Geisha?


So yesterday I had the dangerous opportunity to wield my influence on six classes of unsuspecting 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Has anyone seen School of Rock? Though not as handsome or talented as Jack Black (see picture above) but similarly unaccredited and lacking in Cizzy (?) Cash, I put my best art skills to the test to teach the children of Carden Memorial a thing or two about art. It turns out that both of my parents are professional artists, each with national distribution and ya-dee ya-dee yada, and my sweet mother turned the reins of her precious private-school classroom over to me. What was she thinking???

As I was contemplating what great wisdom I could impart, I concluded that the Make -a -wicked -awesome -turkey -by -tracing -your -hand -and -coloring -your -fingers activity would be appropriate. When I ran the lesson plan by my mom, she retorted, "yeah, um, I've been teaching these kids for five years and they're a little beyond that." Translation: "You're an idiot."

So instead, I decided to make myself look smart by spending the first fifteen minutes of class teaching the children the physiology of the brain - you know, right brain-left brain neuroscience jargon. Once I was sure everyone was cognizant of my intellectual supremacy and wit, I had all of the students draw an upside down picture of an upside down Geisha scene, allowing the right brain to judge lines, curves, proportions, and spacing. Yup, we nipped that lame left-brained drawing nonsense in the bud.

Well, some of the kids did, anyway. Other's succumbed to frustration and wrote "Kolton sucks" or "I Love Cora" with negative pencil shading while others drew the Geisha and then added such desirable features as mustaches, sun glasses, guns, smoking cigarettes, monkeys in the bamboo, etc. Still others were self-proclaimed "cartoonists" and drew Homer Simpson versions of a Geisha. Sweet.

Seriously, it was a pretty fun day with all of these kids. It's amazing to think I was as awkward or clueless as these kids once upon a time, but it's definitely amusing. I'm teaching these kids next Tuesday as well, so if any of all y'all have some suggestions, I'm all ears!

P.S. My heart goes out to all school teachers.

6 comments:

Jacci Halliday said...

totally unrelated to said post, but I knew I liked your wifey, way to be a Chi-O! have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Other Chi-O out.
~steph

Kimberly said...

I don't check the computer for a few days and then I am way behind on the reading.

Don't worry we are taking good care of mom this week, and I know she appreciates you stepping in for her classes. You ROCK!

Jarom and Melissa said...

You are BRILLIANT! I think you should sub for Melissa's fourth graders- the turkey activity would have been a hit.

Jarom

The Cannons said...

I love how your mom puts her subs to work. Good for her and for you.
Mitzi

Amber said...

Hi Guys...This is Amber and Taylor Pollei. We just wanted to say hi and drop you guys a line. Hey, we are coming to UT very very soon, we would love to meet up and say hello. Also, can we get your address??? Thanks so much for Zoe's cute dress we love it.

love, the Polleis www.polleifamily.blogspot.com

Me said...

Hello you two. This message is for Catherine mostly- I need your address for a christmas card missy. Email me your address at lindsthomp@hotmail.com. THANKS!!