Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Open the door please!"



Since Elizabeth is currently yelling this, it is flooding my mind and scaring my memory, I swear.

Oh, I'm also hearing the occasional, "Where are you Mommy?"

What makes this situation even more fun is that Richard is out of town for work all week, again. Oh man. Can't he be here to share in the nighttime fiasco with me? Getting 8 hours of sleep in the last 48 is not my fav.

Just so I can remember what's been happening longer than an hour from now...

Two nights ago, I sat in a chair next to her crib until she fell asleep. I silently crept out and locked her bedroom door. She woke at 4:00 AM. I let her cry it our for 45 minutes, until she woke Mark and he started crying too. I gave Mark his Binky so that he was settled for the moment. I went into Elizabeth's room and found she had climbed out of her crib (expected) and removed her snap-up footie pajamas (unexpected). Poor little thing was cold. I changed her diaper, put her pj's back on, laid her back down while explaining it was still night time and she was going to sleep, walked out and locked the door. She promptly was out and screaming again, 15 minutes later the sun was up and I knew she wouldn't go to sleep, so the day started.

Last night, I put the twin mattress back in her room so that she might crash on it after she had climbed out of the crib. I put her in T-shirt and pants pajamas, did our bedtime ritual, and ended up having to stay in her room for an hour while she fell asleep. (RIDICULOUS!). She woke at 3:30 AM. I let her cry until 4:30 AM, again until Mark started crying. Gave the poor baby boy his binky and went to get Elizabeth. Her pj's were still on, that's good. I changed her diaper, explained it was nighttime and she and I were both going back to sleep. I laid her down while she begged for storied and songs. I said no and walked out locking the door. She hopped out in 2 seconds and resumed the crying. She got quite after about 20 minutes. That lasted about an hour, during which time I fed Mark, and she woke again at 5:45 AM. And thus my day begins.

Can't wait until you get home Richard!  So that I can get some sleep.  :)






7 comments:

Deb said...

I'm sorry Catherine! I've had nights like that, they are the worst. I don't know how we survive. We're going to get lots of sleep in heaven for being good moms. haha!

Barb said...

Holy moly, my heart is hurting for you! I'm so sorry!! These little kiddos are sure stretching us and making us grow whether we want to or not! Love you! You are amazing and you can DO this!

Becky said...

Good luck! It's crazy how something as simple as sleep is such a frustrating experience.

Melissa said...

I so remember the climbing out of the crib/sleeping in a toddler bed fiasco, but I didn't have another baby at the time. Hopefully she'll start settling quicker and you can all get some sleep, and that Richard comes home soon too. Good luck with that. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Nanette said...

Oh, Cat! I know all to well the zombie-like state you're in. I hope that soon it is a distant memory!

Four Winns said...

I'm tellin' ya, stick a tent on that crib: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775. Good luck!

Mitzi Beal said...

So sorry Cat! I wish I could come over so you could take a nap! I think the crib to bed transitions is one of the worst. Good luck.

I am almost finished reading the book "Happiest Toddler on the Block" and I think it has a lot of really good ideas, not for this situation but for little toddlers and all their ways!