Monday, November 30, 2009

Eid Mubarak!!!

Ricardo here. I hope you all had a splendid Thanksgiving celebration. Half-way around the world, Catherine and I assembled a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends. Turkey (Butterball), stuffing (Stove Top), homemade cranberry sauce (Ocean Spray cranberries), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. . . isn't that crazy that you can get all of these brands over here?




Catherine always makes awesome snowflakes for the season


Just a little food for thought for all y'all. Thursday was also the commencement of Eid al Adha, which is the end of the Islamic Haj (journey to Mecca) and is a massive celebration. Eid is celebrated with the "feast of the sacrifice," wherein these families literally slaughter a goat or lamb. As Catherine and I were leaving our house, we saw this cute little black goat (and when I say cute, I mean horrendously ugly) chained up to our neighbor's fence, completely unsuspecting of his imminent doom.



And so, while there were a little over 300 million Americans celebrating Thanksgiving with Turkey and stuffing, there were a little over 1.5 billion Muslims celebrating the feast of the sacrifice with Mr. Billy Goat and his cronies.

We headed over to the Al Ain Palace with McSean and Kera Thompson to check out that awesomeness. Catherine already blogged about this place once before, so I'll simply indulge with a couple of pics. We hope everyone enjoys a fun and festive Christmas season!


5 comments:

SWILUA said...

poor little goaty.

Becky said...

I love the decorations! Catherine you are so creative!!! Happy belated Thanksgiving and I wish I had a goat outside my house!

wenwin said...

I think you should of untied that goat and given him his freedom - but then if you had been caught maybe you might have spent Thanksgiving in the stocks!

Jarom and Melissa said...

Looks like you had a great holiday.

Bethany said...

So glad that you had such a great thanksgiving. I was wondering if you could email me your new address in the UAE so we could send you a christmas card. my email is bethany@bethanymadison.com. Love you guys!