Sunday, November 9, 2008

Spiderman Fights Cancer

You may have recently heard from the story on KSL about the three year old spiderman fan who is fighting for his life against cancer. If you have not, let me tell you about him. His name is Austin Shamy and he is the son of Aaron and Morgan Shamy our dear friends who grew up with Richard and live still live in Utah. Austin just turned three years old and was recently diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Mylogenous Leukemia, or APML.

Acute Promyelocytic Mylogenous Leukemia, or APML (others call it APL), is a fairly rare type of leukemia. The Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake saw 1 case in 2007 and this is the first case in 2008. And they’re a major referral center for many of the surrounding states.

APML, in layman’s terms, is a disease of the bone marrow. For some reason the marrow starts producing immature cells in very large numbers. The blood cells control various functions — red blood cells carry oxygen, white blood cells fight infections, and platelets control clotting and stop bleeding. Since the cells are immature and numerous, they don’t serve their normal functions. Overcrowding of immature cells in the bone marrow takes up critical space for the other cells to reside.

So, someone with APML gets short of breath and becomes pale (lack of oxygen carrying red blood cells), gets infections (lack of white blood cells), and has bleeding and bruising (lack of platelets). His parents first noticed Austin’s gums would bleed spontaneously and always when brushing his teeth. They really knew something was wrong when he woke up from a nap and a fist size black & blue bruise had spontaneously appeared during the course of his 90 min. nap. Without treatment, a person dies from internal bleeding and/or systemic infections.

Although strangers to many of you, I think you might feel connected to their story. Perhaps you or someone you know has gone through a struggle with cancer and can understand. I admire Aaron and Morgan so much for their optimism and passion for life. They are the most humble and selfless people I know. They are constant examples to me of how to be a better person and create a family where love abides. Austin is the second of their three children and shows a happy smile easily despite everything he's going through. It's my hope that the Shamy's receive a fraction of the unconditional love they so freely offer.

Unfortunately the family has been on a Cobra insurance plan that will expire 12/08. The Shamys expect to be in treatment for at least an additional year with expenses into the millions.

I have been keeping them in my prayers and I hope that you will, too. Whether we feel a connection through our faith, blogging, friendship, or just reaching out in compassion and humanity, I hope we will come together as a community and help this family.

Many people have asked how they can help... For more information as well as how to donate go to http://www.spidermanfightscancer.com/


KSL 5 Video

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=670780416#/pages/Austins-Fight-With-APML-Leukemia/30572401828?ref=mf

(Thanks to the Shamy's for the use of content and images.)

5 comments:

The Cannons said...

Thanks for posting this. I went to the website and it was very touching. What a brave little kid. I can't imagine how things must be for them. I know that our Cobra insurance was going to cost us $1,500 per month for the three of us! What a joke! Now, our insurance costs $173 per month and actually provides pretty good coverage - but all of us are currently healthy. We'll start praying for them here.

Scott

Unknown said...

I am so glad I found the Richard and Catherine Blog, thank you so much for putting Austin's story out there! We are strengthen by the support we receive from prayers and well wishers that help by sharing in this trial, this speed bump in life. Our scout master Jerry James use to always say just expect delays and we pray that Austin's leukemia is just one of life's little delays, and one day we will have a son who is a cured cancer, living a normal life. Again we thank you and send our love.
www.spidermanfightscancer.com

Jarom and Melissa said...

We will definitely keep him in our prayers. I know insurance costs can be a nightmare. Thanks for the post.
-- Melissa

Chelsea Lee said...

Wow! I really am glad that you posted this. I think so many people want to help but don't know what they can do. I was thinking about you the other day and was wondering how you and your Hubby were doing. I hope to hear from you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Wow. What a family. I just visited their site and was really touched by their story and the love ad faith they have. Thanks for sharing.