As many of you know, Catherine and I have been working very hard for the last several months and we have gained some incredible experiences. Several months ago I started thinking of making a career change that would be more challenging and fulfilling than working with NewDay Financial, so we started a casual exploration of alternative career opportunities. Here's a rundown of the contenders we filtered from the pool:Catherine
is very well connected at Siemens because she works for the VP of HR. Siemens is best characterized as GE for the rest of the world. At the end of Fiscal Year 2006, they recorded 87.3 Billion Dollars in Sales with 475,000 employees. From medical equipment to semi-conductors to light bulbs, Siemens does it all. The corporate headquarters for Siemens Medical is but two miles from our little home in Malvern, PA. The benefits for Siemens employees are outrageous, the international opportunities are endless, and opportunity for growth within the company is vast and very lucrative. Nobody cares about filthy lucre anyway, but I still interviewed for a position. . .
In the opposite corner, I had heard very strong things about one of the most successful mutual fund companies in the world - also with headquarters but two miles away from our humble home in Malvern. Vanguard manages $1.1 Trillion Dollars in U.S. investments and employs over 12,000 of the nation's brightest financial minds. My interviews with Vanguard were gruelling and exciting - phone screens, a day of interviews with six managers, a financial assessment, follow-up interview, and breakfast with the "Top Brass" of my division at 6:30 in the morning. Mmmmm...... fruit bowls. Opportunities with Vanguard are just as vast as Siemens, though joining this company will inevitably open the door to any financial company in the nation.Do any of you know what if feels like to be in a situation where you are prayerful, pensive, and yearning for any kind of divine guidance (or intervention)? Sometimes I just want to say, "Just tell me what you want me to do, Lord, and I'll do it." (Un)Fortunately, that's not the way the Lord works. Just ask Jared's brother . . . err. . . the Brother of Jared. Catherine and I have been searching for the right next move for some time, and this week, everything that we had been considering came to a head - I suppose I'll take a moment to mention a third contender in the career search. . .
Several months ago, I did some basic business consulting to help John Thornton, my brother-in-law, explore the viability of a web and software development company. John is an extremely talented programmer and has been exploring a variety of different product opportunities for quite a while. Johnny has invited me on several occasions to run Comma Development. Comma is based out of Salt Lake City, employs two full-time employees (Johnny included), revenues are unknown, and daily commute would be just over 2,150 miles from Malvern. Yikes!Miraculously, all three of these companies finalized their offers to me this week, though they were all previously in varying stages of consideration. Each offer was very strong (Vanguard gives four weeks vacation - wow!), but we knew we could only choose one of them. . . . Two out of three offers lead to a predictable schedule, a clear path for advancement, international opportunity, and a very comfortable living. One offer leads to a path of unpredictability, high risk, blood, sweat, and tears. . .
And so, if you haven't guessed it already, Catherine and I are moving back to Utah!!! We can't think of a better time in our lives than now to take risks and experience the rollercoaster ride of running a company. We are so excited!!! We aren't sure what to think about how crazy life is going to be for the next little while, but we know that the Lord has approved our decisions and look forward to life's next great adventure. Catherine will be going back to the University of Utah to finish her degree (December, 2008 - mark your calendars for a fiesta) and I will be running the most successful startup web and software development company on the West Coast. :)
Things are going to get crazy around here for a little while. We have six weeks before we load up a truck and make the grand trek across the country. Our last anticipated day in our home is July 31. We realized that every week until then is fully booked. We are:
1) working as counselors for a multi region EFY-esque youth activity
2) seeing the best sites of the East Coast with family
3) entertaining friends moving to the East Coast
4) traveling upstate New York and New England with the Hill Cumorah Pageant
5) escaping to Cape May, NJ (for a romantic anniversary getaway)
6) packing up a ridiculously ugly and uneconomical Penske truck for a cross-country adventure
12 comments:
Oh, Catherine and Richard that's wonderful. I'm so glad you're moving back to SLC, you're new job opportunities and Catherine's return to school!! Wonderful!
How fun! Visiting Utah this August will be even more fun now that you'll be here...or there. For the present, I guess I identify myself in two homes now...SLC and, as I'm getting acclimated and adjusted to work (I've only been here going on 5 weeks!)here in Las Vegas, it's becoming another home for a year or two, at least.
I'm soooooooo truly excited and happy that you'll be moving back! Salt Lake is much closer to visit than Philadelphia...although wasn't that a great time for all of us to have together back east? Thanks so much for a wonderful time, Catherine and Richard. Except for a couple of small snags, it all went so smoothly and was great fun. Really another well planned and perfect vacation thanks to y'all and Mark's thoughtful generosity.
I'll always remember John and Richard’s expert navigation through the 'Asphalt Jungle and Subway system' you guys had it down....accommodatingly, figuratively and literally. It was good to see all of us really watching out for each other, trying to be considerate and sensitive of each other's needs - really family, you know?)
Too, just thinking about many advantages of your move back to SLC, I'm relieved that you'll be away from those huge power line towers surrounding your apartment -radiation emission concerns...
Whoa, power lines.... Las Vegas...power line mega center of the world.... WOW!!
I'm fortunate I live up by the mountains away from the power stations!
That reminds me of quite a sight I witnessed last April 2, while visiting Aunt Sylvia.
I saw the biggest, most impressive farm of solar collectors [acres of them] exclusively powering an entire power plant just west of LV in the Mojave Desert.
It was a beautiful sight to see them all move in synchrony - man's technological achievement, bowing to mother Sun - their continuous energy dance shining, resonating back a forth, all from the Sun's gift of energy and life. Talk about reminding me of what is sacred that we take for granted every single moment. Humbling..
Wellll, kind of long response...A tangent or a worthwhile pause of, as it turned out for me, gratitude?
More another time about how it's going here. I am in process of setting up my own blog; thanks for the reminder, Richard.
Love and see you very soon!
Aunt Barb
WOW. My comment will not be as long as aunt barbara's. I wish I could compete, but I can't.
Anyway, we can't wait for you guys to return, We'll keep the BBQ hot and ready for you.
Love the Sword in the Stone reference. It wasn't lost on me.
There no words to describe how utterly blessed we feel right now. John and I cannot believe the sacrifice you are willing to make to help make Comma a huge success. You are true examples of having faith in the Lord and taking worthwhile risks. We love you both so much and are so excited that you will be here soon! John and I both were very touched reading this post (I was bawling like a baby) and we will work hard to be worthy of your decision.
We're going to miss you two so much.
Wow! That is great, and I am sure Barbara is wetting her pants she is so excited! I hope your cross country journey is a successful one, as Cody and I are a little familiar with that Penske truck!
WHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! That's all I can say! We are so stoked! I knew you would surrender to our constant guilt trips! :) We love you guys so much and are so excited to see you next week in Philly! And more excited to see you back here in SLC!!!! What an amazing decision! If there's anything I'm sure about, it's that the Lord is in the details of our lives!
We love you!
wow big decision for sure! congrats guys! as much as we would have liked to say we would see you someday in philly again, we will most likely actually see you again with you two in utah!
good luck with the move-after just finishing one...all i can say is get it done as fast as you possibly can! ha...love you guys!
-ali
Holy cow!!! I got chills up my spine when I read that post! And I can't tell you how excited I am that you will be living here! Catherine- ah! I have missed you so much!! I can't wait for you to be back here- lunch dates every week! Good luck with the move you guys and we'll see you in August!
-Alisa
RICARDO!
that is really exciting.... well, probably moree exciting for all us zoobie's back in Utah that can't get out!! Do you know where you are going to be living? Did i tell you we live really close to your mom? Really close bro.
Ta Ta
Catherine - I know, I am a blog stalker but I read your latest news and I am thrilled you will be coming back to Salt Lake City! Hooray for us and especially for Barb! I know she is thrilled. Congratulations and good luck on your upcoming move and adventures!
Chelsea Walters
Catherine, I can't tell you how excited I am that your moving back!!! WOOOP WOOOOP. We really have to hang out and catch up, I found a note you wrote me in high school the other day and it was soo sweet and it made me cry! I miss ya luv, call me if you need help moving back, I know what a pain it can be!!
Post a Comment