Friday, September 4, 2009

Europe. . . . by the numbers

Hey dudes!

Richard Ethington here. Wait! Before you skip this blog, take a moment to appreciate a point of view slightly different than the mushy gushy ooh la la mumbo jumbo. You want the facts. Here are the answers. Take no prisoners. I can't ever seem to integrate that phrase very smoothly. . . . (sigh).

When you take a look at the details, it's pretty crazy how much we covered. If anyone is planning a trip to Europe and would like to get a better sense for budgeting, transportation costs, etc., send me an e-mail. :)

And so, without further ado:

Significant Dates: July 23rd - our 4 Year Anniversary!
Favorite Food: Gelato
Favorite Place for Pizza: La Taverna dei Corsari - Montopoli
Favorite Haunt for Gelato: Il Septimo Gelo - Poggio Mirteto
Favorite City: Barcelona - Gaudi, Las Ramblas, Parque Guell
Country with best breads: France
Country with best food: Italy - by far
Country with best Gelato: Italy - especially Florence. . . Incredible!!!

Families: 2
Adults: 4
Youth: 2
Children: 1
Redheads: 1/2
Baldheads: 1/2
Other: 6

Adventure Dates: June 24 - August 5
Distance Traveled: 7,620 km or 4,734 miles
Distance Walked: Inordinate - loved it!!!
# Adventure Days: 42
# Countries Visited: 6
Countries Visited (in order):
  1. Italy
  2. Switzerland
  3. France
  4. Spain
  5. Turkey
  6. Greece
Cities Visited (in order)
  1. Roma (Rome. . . duh.), Italy
  2. Castelnuovo di Farfa, Italy
  3. Lago di Garda (Lake Garda), Italy
  4. Verona, Italy
  5. Venezia (Venice), Italy
  6. Lago di Como (Lake Como), Italy
  7. Interlaken, Switzerland
  8. Bern, Switzerland
  9. Paris, France
  10. Pamplona, Spain
  11. Barcelona, Spain
  12. Carcassone, France
  13. Marseilles, France
  14. Nice, France
  15. Monaco, France
  16. Rapallo (Portofino), Italy
  17. Riomaggiore (Cinque Terre), Italy
  18. Manarola (Cinque Terre), Italy
  19. Corniglia (Cinque Terre), Italy
  20. Vernazza (Cinque Terre), Italy
  21. Monterosso (Cinque Terre), Italy
  22. Pisa, Italy
  23. Firenze (Florence), Italy
  24. Roma, Italy
  25. Civitavecchia, Italy
  26. Catania, Sicily (Italy)
  27. Izmir, Turkey
  28. Santorini, Greece
  29. Mykonos, Greece
  30. Athens, Greece
  31. Civitavecchia, Italy
  32. Roma, Italy
Transportation Means:
  1. Plane
  2. Train
  3. Automobile (ha!) Kia Carnival (Minivan)
  4. Subway
  5. Bus
  6. Cruise Ship
  7. Small Boat
  8. Four Wheeler ATV's
  9. Tram
  10. ChevroLEGS - ohhhhh the agony!!!!
Nights
  1. Varying sleeping locations: 11
  2. Types of arrangements:
  • Agriturismo Villa (Rome) - 19 Nights
  • Hotels - 14 Nights
  • Bungalow Camping - 2 Nights
  • Cruise Ship - 7 Nights
Water (in order)
  1. Tyrrhenian Sea
  2. Lago di Garda
  3. Adriatic Sea
  4. Lake Como
  5. Balearic Sea
  6. Catalan Sea
  7. Ligurian Sea
  8. Ionian Sea
  9. Aegean Sea
Other info:

Nude Beaches - not telling
Meals involving olive oil, prosciutto, or fresh parmesan - 14,000
Ricardo weight lost from walking all over Europe - 7 Kilos
Pictures taken - 4,300
Pictures kept - 2,025
Hours in hammock in Roman countryside - not enough (but at least 10)
Hours playing "Pocket Tanks" on iPod with Catherine - 625 million

And there you have it! This, in so many words, was a "trip of a lifetime" for Catherine and I. I can't even describe how incredible the entire experience was (so I'll leave that to Cat, tee hee). Cat's working on the pictures part, I promise!!! Arrivederci!

P.S. - Catherine and I will be in Salt Lake City from the 11th of September until the 10th of October. It's party time, dangit!!!

7 comments:

Barb said...

I'm so excited to see pictures and more excited to you two!

Jeff and Rach said...

Oh my! That sounds like a fabulous trip! I can't wait to see the pictures.

The Cannons said...

That really is amazing that you guys got to do that and for such a long time. Not very many people get that experience. That's awesome.
Mitzi

Jarom and Melissa said...

Sound like you had a blast. I like the trip break down. So fun. We're still jealous.
-- Melissa

Kimberly said...

Richard--Didn't you get a job over there? Sounds like you are having such a great time! Any layovers in Houston?

Ali said...

Wow, you guys did cover a lot! It sounds like an awesome trip, I can't wait to see the pictures.

Shamy Family said...

I am so bummed I didn't know you guys were coming home. We would have loved to seen you. Keep us in the loop for the next trip home. I am so happy you got to go to the cinque terre and eat gelato! Did you try the focaccia? What a great trip! Love it Love you guys
~
The Shamy Clan