Friday, December 5, 2008

Alive and Well in Dubai

Hello All!!!

Just wanted to let you know that I made it safely to Dubai last night. Surprisingly, the passport and customs process was much easier (and less intimidating) than my Chilean experience (young soldiers with automatic rifles staring you down as another agent meticulously picks through your luggage). Mark and Beverly picked me up from the Airport and dropped me off at the Hilton Al Ain. It looks like I'll be staying there for at least two weeks. Fortunately, they have an awesome fitness facility and lap pool to compensate for the hotel buffets and room service I'll be consuming for the next several days. :)

The week is a little different here - I will be working Sunday through Thursday, church is on Friday, and Saturday is just like in the States. This morning was my first experience with church at the Al Ain Branch. There are three active children in the primary and six active priesthood holders. I had the opportunity to give the opening prayer and bless the sacrament, and I am pumped for this branch!!! I think we almost broke an attendance record with 25 attending. The members here are a strong a delightful people. We have representation from (at minimum) the USA, Canada, Phillipines, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE. There are few enough members that we only have church for two hours. Fast and testimony meeting today was followed by a combined Elders/Relief Society/Sunday School hour while the 3 Young Men and the Primary children did their separate meetings.

The weather is beautiful here - temperate and cool, not a cloud in the sky. This is the perfect place to be for the winter months (October to April). The most shocking cultural experience I've had so far is how much Western influence there is here. I was in a Taxi last night and another taxi whizzed by with a Chile's looking logo (but in Arabic). Sure enough, Chile's is huge over here. Hurray!!! Just a few other places I've seen - KFC, Carl's Jr., Pizza Hut, Chuck E Cheese (ya kiddin' me?), Burger King, IKEA, Subway to name a few. McDonalds I have not seen, but I'm sure I'll have the opportunity soon enough. I've enjoyed seeing a more foreign mix of vehicles. I was missing the occasional Fiat and Peugot back in the States. Still, Toyota is by far the most popular car brand.

Driving here is insane. The UAE opted for Roundabouts rather than Traffic lights to handle the majority of its intersections, and these things are a riot! Three lanes of people going in circles, dodging other cars as they traverse multiple lanes to the next road. Another thing - addresses don't really mean anything here. If you want to orient someone to your home (or wherever), you describe major buildings, roundabouts (each roundabout has a name), etc. For example, to direct a driver to Mark and Beverly's home, they live one signal, then one roundabout, then two signals past the Al Ain Hospital and to the right.

More to come, but I wanted to let everyone know that all is well. I haven't found a suitable adaptor for a 3 prong US plug yet, so I don't have a computer or internet, but I'll keep in touch when I am able. Love to all!

Ricardo

5 comments:

Jacci Halliday said...

Circle-man, I am so excited for you..leave it to Richard to change the world and live in the most amazing places! Good luck to you:)
X-Woman

Ashley said...

Sounds exciting! Keep us updated and take pictures (like we have to tell you that!)

Love,
The Rittmans

BFC said...

RICARDO!

I haven't checked your blog in ages, then today I pull it up and you're in Dubai? WoW! Buddy, that's great. When can I come visit? How are you?

The Cannons said...

That sounds crazy. I am not even the slightest bit jealous. I think you are both a little crazy, but I bet you will LOVE the experience. You being the key word here.
Mitzi

Jaron and Amy said...

Jaron and I are curious to hear who Mark and Beverly are? Glad to hear you made it there safely.